Friday, May 4, 2012

Relay For Life

Tonight is the Relay For Life. The Relay For Life is a fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. It's an all night walk around a track to raise money for the organization. I have done it for the past two years. It's a very important cause to me because I am a ten year survivor of Acute Lympoblastic Leukemia. I was on treatment for three years in Texas. Both of my Granddads are also survivors of cancer.

At the beginning of the walk, all the survivors line up around the track in purple shirts and open the walk with "the survivors lap." My scout troop is doing the luminary's for the survivors and the lost ones. The luminary's are bags filled with sand and a candle is placed at the bottom of each bag. Printed on each bag is the name of survivors or those whose lives have been lost. The bags are then lined around the track and the candles are lit in honor of the survivors and those who have been lost. My troop is also doing the flag ceremony.

I'm proud of my mom for being there for me when I was sick. I love her so dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment